Palak Paneer is a popular Indian main course dish. Palak paneer is made with paneer/cottage cheese cooked in palak/spinach gravy.
For Palak Puree:
Palak/Spinach – 200 gm fresh
Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves
Ginger- 1/2 inch chopped
Green Chilies- 2
Paneer – 250 gm
Onion – 1 medium chopped
Tomato- 1 medium chopped
Garlic- 4 to 5 finey chopped
Jeera/Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Tej patta/Bay leaf- 1
Haldi/Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Mirch/Red Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi – 1 teaspoon
Dry Red Chili- 2 broken into two halves
Garam masala powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Oil- 1 tbsp
Butter – 2 tbsp
Salt as required
Making Palak/Spinach puree-
- Rinse the palak/spinach well in running water.
- Boil 4 to 5 cups of water in a pan and add 1/4 tsp salt. Now add Palak/spinach leaves in the hot water. Cover it and let cook it for 3 minutes on medium flame.
- When the palak leaves are blanching, take some water in a pan and add some ice cubes.
- After 3 minutes strain the blanched palak leaves from hot water and add them to cold water. Keep Palak stock aside to use later.
- After 1 minute strain it again from cold water.
- Now add Palak/spinach leaves a grinder jar with 1/2 inch chopped ginger, 3 to 4 cloves garlic, 2 green chilies.
- Make a smooth palak/spinach gravy without adding water. Keep it aside.
Making Palak Paneer Gravy-
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a pan or kadai.
- Add 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds, 1 Bay leaf/tej patta and 2 red chilies. Let them splutter.
- Now add 1 medium chopped onion. Saute till Onion turns light golden.
- Add 4 to 5 finely chopped garlic. Saute until raw aroma of garlic goes away.
- Now add 1/4 tsp haldi/turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp chili powder. Saute for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Add 1 medium chopped tomato. Stir and saute till tomatoes soften.
- Once the tomatoes are softened, add salt.
- Then add 1 tsp Kasoori Methi and mix well.
- Add Palak/Spinach Puree.
- Add 1/2 cup of palak/spinach stock or water or as required.
- Add Garam Masala powder and stir very well.
- Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes till palak or spinach is cooked.
- Now add Paneer cubes(250 gms) and stir well.
- Now cover and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add 2 tbsp cream. This is optional. I have not added.
- Now stir and switch off the flame.
- Serve Palak Paneer hot with roti, naan or rice.
2,636 total views, 4 views today