Butter Chicken Recipe – Learn how to make restaurant style chicken at home. Butter Chicken with smooth, silky and delicious gravy.
Butter Chicken is one of the most famous Indian dishes around the world. You can find Butter Chicken in almost all Indian restaurants.
Butter Chicken is also known as Murg Makhni. Butter Chicken’s gravy is mainly prepared with tomato puree, Cashew paste, cream and offcourse Butter as you can guess with the name.
Butter Chicken makes an awesome combo – Butter Chicken with Naan, Roti or Kulcha. It also goes well with Rice.
How to Make Butter Chicken at home:
Boneless Chicken – 400 gm cut into medium sized pieces
Turmeric/Haldi powder – 1/2 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Curd – 1 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Tomato puree – 4 tomatoes puree (For making tomato puree check at the bottom under – Making Tomato Puree )
Green Chili – 2
Onion – 1
Cashew nuts – 5 to 6 soaked in water for 1 hour
Garlic – 4 roughly chopped
Ginger – 1 inch roughly chopped
Cardamom – 4
Mace/Javitri – 1 small piece
Bay Leaf/Tejpatta – 1 small
Dried Fenugreek Leaves/ Kasoori Methi – 1tbsp
Cream – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Butter – 2 tbsp
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp chili powder to chicken.
- Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Add 1 tbsp curd and mix it very well.
- Now keep it marinated in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Now heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Add 2 tbsp butter.
- Add 4 cardamom, 1 small piece of mace/javitri, 1 small bay leaf.
- Add 4 chopped garlic.
- Add one chopped onion.
- Add 2 green chilies and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 inch chopped ginger and soaked cashew nuts and saute for few seconds.
- Now switch off the flame and let this mixture cool.
- Now heat a non stick pan. Add 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring as required to brown all sides.
- Meanwhile prepare tomato puree.
- Once chicken is cooked take it out and keep aside.
- Now add the onion mixture to a grinder and grind until smooth, you may need a few tablespoons of water to help it grind.
- Sieve this paste.
- Now add this paste and tomato puree to the pan. Mix well and cook.
- Add 2 tbsp cooking cream.
- When it comes to boil, add 1 tbsp kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add cooked chicken pieces.
- Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with cream and serve hot with roti, naan or rice.
Making Tomato Puree:
Boil water. Add 1 tsp salt. Dip tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove tomatoes from boiling water and put them into a pot of cold water.
After 2-3 minutes, peel the skins off the tomatoes.
Cut into small pieces.
Grind until smooth puree.
Sieve tomato puree.
Fresh tomato puree is now ready to be used.
Share your suggestions and feedback below 🙂
954 total views, no views today