Aaloo Tikki Chaat Recipe – Make Street style Aaloo Tikki Chaat at home
Aaloo Tikki Chaat is a famous north Indian street food. It’s basically shallow fried Aaloo/potato paties served with hot and spicy peas/matar curry, topped with tamarind and coriander chutney,yogurt, onions, black salt and sev.
You can find Aaloo tikki chaat in many street side food shops. It can be also easily made at home.
At the end of the post I have given link for green chutney and imli/tamarind chutney recipes. It’s better to prepare chutneys before you start preperation for aaloo tikki chaat.
How to make Aaloo Tikki Chaat:
Recipe Video Link :
For Matar/Peas Chhole:
Dried Peas/Matar – 200 gm soaked for 5 to 6 hours
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 2 chopped
Green Chilies – 2
whole Cumin/Jeera – 1 tsp
Chopped Garlic – 4 to 5
Chopped Ginger – 1 inch
Turmeric/Haldi powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Bay leaf/ tej patta – 1
Salt as per taste
For Aaloo Tikki:
Boiled and mashed Potato/Aalo – 4 to 5
Corn flour – 1 tbsp
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
Green Chili – 2 chopped
Chili powder – 1/4 tsp
Black salt – 1/4 tsp
Chopped ginger – 1tsp
Salt as required
Oil for frying
For Aaloo Tikki Chaat:
Rosted Cumin/Jeera powder
Finely chopped onion
Making Peas/Matar Chhole
- Pressure cook matar with 3 cups of water and 2 tsp salt. Cook till two whistle.
- Meanwhile grind 2 chopped tomatoes to make puree. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- When oil is hot, add 1 pinch hing.
- Add 1 tsp cumin and a bay leaf.
- Add 4 to 5 chopped garlic. Saute till raw aroma goes off.
- Add 1 Chopped Onion.
- Add two slicedgreen chilies.
- Saute till onion turns golden.
- Add 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chili and 1 tsp coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add prepared tomato puree.
- Cook till mixture thickens with continuous stirring.
- Add Salt.
- Once mixture thickens, add chopped ginger.
- Add boiled peas/matar. Mix well.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of water.
- When it comes to boil add 1 tsp garam masala powder.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame. Matar chhole is ready.
Making Aaloo Tikki
- Take mashed potato. Add 1 tsp corn flour, 1 tsp chaat masala powder.
- Add 1/4 tsp chili powder.
- Add black and white salt as per the taste.
- Add chopped green chilies.
- Add chopped ginger.
- Now mix all these ingredients together with your hand.
- Now grease your hands with oil.
- Take a small portion from potato mixture.
- Give it a round and flat shape using your hands.
- Now heat 3 to 4 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Place these round shaped tikkis in the pan.
- Cook till lower side turns brown.
- Now flip and cook another side.
- Once tikkis are brown from both the sides, switch off the flame and take them out.
Serving Aaloo Tikki Chaat:
- Take hot peas/matar choole in a bowl or deep plate.
- Place tikkis (1 or 2 per plate) on chhole.
- Spread 2 tbsp curd on it.
- Spread 1 tbsp imli/tamarind chutney.
- Spread some green chutney.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black salt.
- Sprinkle a pinch of roasted jeera/Cumin powder.
- Add some chopped onion.
- You can also spinkle some sev.
Delicious Aaloo Tikki Chaat is ready.
2,923 total views, 1 views today